HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:21:31 -0400
Hi Bruce-- I have excavated a free Black squatter's settlement at Fort Johnson, on Charleston Harbor. Dates between
about 1865 and 1906. These were more like long term squatters than transients, however. They worked at the base
and built houses on government land.... There is more info on my web site (address below). Let me know if you have
specific questions... CS

7/13/2001 8:51:12 AM, "Penner, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello all!
>
>I am currently doing work on the site of a former railroad camp (ca.
>1871-73) that was later re-occupied as a squatter's camp/shanty town  (ca.
>1880s - 1930s).  While I have found many good references on the archaeology
>of mid- to late nineteenth century railroad camps, I have not had similar
>luck finding any relating to turn-of-the-century squatter's camps.  Has
>anyone done work on similar sites or know references of comparable work on
>transient populations.  Feel free to reply either on or off list.  Thanks
>in advance for your help.
>
>Bruce R. Penner, RPA
>URS Corporation
>700 Third St. South