HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 23:05:43 +0000
Leicestershire (The East Midlands)was very pastorally orientated from the
late Middle Ages
with Leicester having industries such as hosiery and boot and shoe.
Northampton ?30 miles to the south was the nation's boot and shoe capital
from the C17. There was also a stong regional tradition of cottage
outworking associated with the hosiery industry dating from the C17 onwards.
The factory system only really developed in hosiery at the end of the 19th
century. I presume bone buttons were lesser status compared to the brass
buttons which Birmingham (not very far westward) was turning out by the
million. There is a paper on the Birmingham button industry in Post-Med Arch
for 1977.

paul courtney
Leicester
UK