HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kris Farmen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:49:35 -0700
Mattew. . .

I looked at the photo, and this may actually be two cartridges re-used
to form another artifact.  I've seen at least one match safe made from
brass 12 guage and 10 guage shotgun shells.  The 12 guage shell fits
just inside the 10 guage shell, with exactly the appropriate amount of
friction to keep them together.  Much of what I've read (I don't recall
references just now) indicates that this was a pretty common practice.
I don't know if a 45-70 cartridge would be big enough for a match safe,
but perhaps it had some other function.   It might also just be two
cartridges that someone stuck together whil fiddling around waiting
somewhere. . .

Kris Farmen
Northern Land Use Research, Inc.
Fairbanks, Alaska