HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kris Farmen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:32:00 -0700
Dear list. . .

I'm looking for a date range on the following two artifacts found in a
collapsed log cabin in interior Alaska.

1)  A can measuring 3 1/4 inches tall by 5 inches diameter.  All crimped
seams.  Lithography all around, maker's mark:  "Golden Glow/
Pasteurized."  I'd wager that this is a butter can, and the lithography
motifs appear to be 20s or 30s, but I'd like a more definite date.

2)  A packing crate (nailed to the cabin wall as a shelf) with the
following marks on a glued paper label:  "Gold Bar/ [illeg.] APRICOTS/
GRIFFIN & SKELLE[illeg.]/ BLEACHED WITH SULPHUR."

Doesn't bleaching fruit with sulphur sound healthy?  Mmmmmmmm.  Thanks,
folks!

Kris Farmen
Northern Land Use Research, Inc.
Fairbanks, Alaska