From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:26:30 +1100
I sometimes wonder why a decision is made to provide more than the
necessary number of tracks on a CD. I don't mean secondary access points
as these are rarely included.  For example, most of the Bantock series
on Hyperion have multiple access points as opposed to, say, a CD of Haydn
symphonies for which you would expect each movement to be separately
tracked.  An extreme case is a Chandos CD of Roussel's Bacchus et Ariane
and Le festin d'araignee which has 52 tracks for a 68-minute CD. At the
other end of the scale, my latest Berkshire parcel contained Pettersson's
Symphony No 13 on cpo, which contains one 67-minute track.  Does anyone
know of any more extreme cases?

Incidentally, one feature I would love to see on CD players is one that
some computer media players provide: the ability to be able to select a
range of tracks rather than having to program them one at a time.  Perhaps
there is such a machine already?

Richard Pennycuick