From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:02:08 -0500
Last Thursday I had the pleasure of hearing Donald Runnicles conduct
the Beethoven 9 in Atlanta.  I thought the performance was extraordinary
in its clarity and depth.  The orchestra was enthusiastic even though
they must have played this many times.  The chorus was amazingly CLEAR
as well, and every word could be easily understood, yet flowed very
musically.  Perhaps I was under whelmed on occasion where I was expecting
something more, (I have imprinted on Karajan from 77, and the Furtwangler
from 1954, Lucerne) but on the whole I totally enjoyed it -- especially
being my first live LvB 9th.

I'm writing to ask about something Mr. Runnicles mentioned during the
pre-concert lecture.  He said that they would be playing a "new" definitive
score of the 9th, based on some recent discoveries.  I did not catch the
name of the musicologist or the version.  He did, however, mention that
until before the breaking down of the Berlin wall, one part of the
manuscript was in the West and another in the East.  I would love to
read more about this very dramatic story -- it would make a great movie.

Does anyone know where to point me to find out more, or what the new
manuscript is called, etc... Thank you.

Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com