From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 19:19:42 -0400
For those who love the music of one of the best 20th century French
composers, this is a new Website that shall be soon translated in English:

   http://www.jolivet.asso.fr/

The pictures themselves worth the price of admission!  Now, I just hope
that Naxos, Chandos (with Tortelier?) or another international label will
record Jolivet's concertos and symphonies.  Apart from his great music for
flute and the trumpet concertos, it's too difficult to find good recordings
of his music available outside France.  A shame, since Jolivet's music is
probably as interesting and original as Messiaen's!

Unlike Messiaen, Jolivet didn't have an army of former student to perform
(or talk about) his music...  Moreover, the originality of his output is
more difficult to grasp at first.  But some of his works really rock...

These are some of my favorite works by Jolivet:

Trumpet Concerto No 2
Chant de Linos
Sonata for flute and piano
Piano Concerto (Sony should reissue Entremont's LP recording!)
Pastorales de Noel
Concertino for bassoon
Cello COncerto No 1

Erato hasn't reissued many great recordings of Jolivet's works made during
the 1960s. This is really sad...

Daniel