From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:42:45 -0400
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Also Nielsen's influence in Simpson's First Symphony, the woodwind
>reminds me of Nielsen's Fifth.  Simpson's 9th is seems to one of his
>better symphonies.  I find though that a lot of his writing seems an
>exercise more in logic using sound rather than inspired music.  Anyone
>find his music inspiring?

Logic and inspiration can melt together quite well:-) I don't know
Simpson's output that well, but I especially like the Fifth Symphony.
This is a most direct and powerful work!  But it's true that the few
Simpson's quartets I know represent a harder nut to crack...  I would
really like to know what other chamber and orchestral works Simpson's
fans can recommend to us!

Daniel