From:
Mark Coldiron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:15:00 -0600
Bob wrote:
> Cotton honey production is a tough game. The beekeeper has to be able to
> move his beehives at times on short notice and pesticide kills are often.
>
> I would NEVER sit hives on permanent locations within a half mile of
cotton
> fields unless I was  sure the Cotton field owner was responsible with his
> spraying program.
>
> A government program called the Boll Weevil Eradication program is being
> started in many areas. Missouri is one of those areas.

Reply:
Bob is absolutely correct!  It's a tough game.  I've had a lot of problems
with the Texas Boll Weevil Eradication program spray planes.  However, I
think they'll be finished next year.  My bees sit in a wooded area with
cotton fields on all sides within a half mile.  For this reason, I've
limited the number of hives and focused on equipment and buildings. We have
two seasons here.  Spring with wildflowers and mesquite then late Summer for
the cotton.  The potential for better than average honey crops is good, so
I'll go ahead and take the risk.

West Texas Mark