From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:11:00 -0700
Pablo Massa writes:

>I correct myself: instead of "anything" read "anybody".  I meant
>authors (when their names are known) rather than works.

It is true that most medieval music is anonymous.  However, since such
a small percentage has been recorded, it is difficult to interpret a
statement to the effect that most of it has been recorded in any valid way.
Even major composers such as Machaut, Landini, Josquin, etc.  have many
unrecorded works.  This is hardly the case for composers of similar stature
in later eras.

It might be true, in general, that the majority of people attributed in
medieval sources have at least one such attributed work recorded.  It would
not be true, for instance, in the category troubadours.

>I was told (from a not so trustable source) that only a few masses
>and chansons survived from his [Caron's] output.

This is correct.  However, note that none of Caron's masses have been
recorded, and this from a composer cited by Tinctoris as among the tiny
handful of leading mass composers of his age.  Non-leading composers of
that era are virtually unrepresented on recording, and yes, many do have
names.

Todd McComb