HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:04:02 -0800
Friends and colleagues: The war that may soon begin in Iraq poses a very
serious threat to the rich archaeological heritage of that country, whose
early Mesopotamian civilizations profoundly influenced the course of human
cultural development in much of the world over the past 5,000 years or more.
  To explore this topic and share with people everywhere an understanding of
the urgency of the matter, we asked Dr. Samuel M Paley of the Department of
Classics at the State University of New York at Buffalo to provide his
perspectives in a telephone interview, entitled Iraq Archaeology and the
Threat of War, which is the latest program featured on our public education
website, The Archaeology Channel (www.archaeologychannel.org).

The threat of war in Iraq has caused the Archaeological Institute of America
to issue a statement (http://www.archaeological.org) urging that measures be
taken to protect the archaeological heritage of that country.  The AIA
expresses concern regarding possible direct damage to sites, objects and
institutions as well as the potential for looting of sites and museums.
These concerns are shared by many archaeologists and others around the
world, especially in the aftermath of the looting that took place in Iraq
following the Gulf War.  We believe that action taken now and in the future
to safeguard Iraq's archaeological sites, monument, artifacts, and museums
should be supported by all, regardless of positions held about the wisdom of
going to war.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  If
you feel that this project is a worthy endeavor, please participate in our
Membership (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.html) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance this nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported service.  We also welcome new content partners as we reach
out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org