HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:57:31 -0800
Friends and colleagues: The South American country of Uruguay is blessed
with a rich archaeological record that has received limited research
attention and even less public notice.  We are pleased to help break this
pattern of neglect through our public education website, The Archaeology
Channel (www.archaeologychannel.org), by bringing you the video, The
Prehistoric Mounds of Uruguay: Linking the Past and the Future.

Uruguay's rich history spans more than 11,000 years.  On the wetlands of
Rocha, declared by UNESCO as one of the most diverse environments on Earth,
mound-building people thrived 4000 years ago.  They built planned villages,
made pottery and other tools, grew corn, squash, beans, and tubers, and
developed an elaborate belief system.  Produced by the Kentucky-Uruguay
Cultural Heritage Education Project, this video shows Uruguayan
archaeologists leading teachers and students from Rocha in archaeological
exploration of the prehispanic past of their province, inspiring them to
bring archaeology into their classroom.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  If
you feel that this project is a worthy endeavor, please participate in our
Membership (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.html) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance this nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported service.  We also welcome new content partners as we reach
out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested and let us know
if you wish to be removed from our mailing list.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org