HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 06:56:04 -0500
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Historical Society's National Conference, June 3-6, 2004
The Spruce Point Inn near Boothbay Harbor, Maine*

REFLECTIONS ON THE CURRENT STATE OF HISTORICAL INQUIRY

Program Directors:
Peter Coclanis, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Ann Moyer, University of Pennsylvania
James Tracy, University of Minnesota

We envision this conference as a conversation about what makes
history a
discipline. Since historians cannot rely on a single method to fit all
situations, we expect to take a close look at different approaches to
the past. We are interested as well in the challenges created by the
nature of available sources, and by the issues that arise when one
borrows theoretical approaches from other disciplines.

In an age that sees itself as moving beyond modernity, the ground has
shifted under the various grand narratives of its European origins.
Hence we hope to cast a critical eye on traditional chapters in that
narrative, such as the Middle Ages, the Enlightenment, or the
Industrial
Revolution. At the same time, we hope to promote ongoing efforts to
frame the histories of Africa, Asia, and the Islamic world in terms of
categories not shaped by European narratives. We expect that
historians
working with many different kinds of sources and representing all
fields
and perspectives will be party to these discussions.

We encourage proposals for complete sessions, individual papers, and
informal workshops. We would like to hear not just from academic
historians, but also from independent scholars, students, journalists,
archivists, librarians, and secondary-level teachers.

We hope that this fourth national meeting will serve as a point of
departure for a clear-sighted analysis of the likely future of
historical studies in the new century. To accomplish this, we plan for
about half the sessions to involve pre-circulated papers in which
scholars move beyond their research base to engage in a broader
discussion: Cast an eye on your own territory, read more widely,
prepare
an exploratory, even provocative essay. For sessions of this type,
those
whose proposals are accepted will be asked to e-mail their papers to
us
at least a month ahead of the meeting and come prepared for a lively
discussion.

Please send 6 copies of your proposal (no more than 2 pages),
accompanied by a 2-page curriculum vitae to: 2004 Conference, The
Historical Society, 656 Beacon Street, Mezzanine, Boston, MA
02215-2010.
The deadline is December 31, 2002. For more information about The
Historical Society, please visit www.bu.edu/historic.

*The Spruce Point Inn is located at the tip of a forested peninsula
surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean. The inn is within walking distance
of
the resort town of Boothbay Harbor, an hour north of the Portland,
Maine, airport. The sea and the forest surround the lodgings and the
conference facilities. The inn will start taking reservations for our
conference in October of 2003 (800-553-0289). They will be glad to
send
you a brochure on request and their web site is
www.sprucepointinn.com.
We look forward to seeing you at the Spruce Point Inn in 2004.

Joseph Lucas
Assistant Director
The Historical Society

--

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Get 4 DVDs for $.49 cents! plus shipping & processing. Click to join.