HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wm Liebeknecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:55:09 -0500
Michael,

I recently completed some excavations in Newark, New Jersey on a series of
stone and brick lined shaft features filled circa 1920.  Glass battery jars
were amongst the fill materials.  Two battery jars were French, embossed
"PILE LECLANCHE" "TELEPHONE BATTERY" "PAT MAY 23RD 1882" (it measured 6"
high by 4" by 4") and the others were unmarked.  The Sears 1897 catalog
(pages 470 and 471) show similar examples of open circuit batteries" listed
under Electrical Goods.  One uses the battery to power telegraph equipment
another states "for open circuit work such as bells telephone work etc.,
they will last from 12 to 18 months without renewal".  They were also used
for door bells and burglar alarm outfits.  Similar examples are shown in the
1892 Montgomery Ward & Co. Fall & Winter Catalogue & Buyers Guide No.56
(page 210).  On this page you will note some are square and some are
cylindrical.

If I remember correctly we found some good information on the web when did a
search on PILE LECLANCHE or just LECLANCHE.  I believe there was a good
image.  We also found some of the interior battery parts, zinc rods and
copper plates and wires.  the upper portion of one some of the batteries
from the shafts were ceramic.

Bill Liebeknecht
Principal Investigator
Hunter Research Inc.