From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:57:21 -0600
 Hi Mark and Everyone,

"What would be the best way to provide this ventilation between brood
boxes?  A drilled hole? Some other way?"

I hate drilling holes in the boxes partly because they always seem to
end up where they are not wanted somewhere down the road.  Simply use
pieces of cedar shingle on sides and then you can either make a piece
for the front with an entrance opening or cover most of the front with
something like duct tape and leave a small opening in the middle.  The
shingle blocks draft from the sides and you only need a 0.25 inch
opening for the bees which is too small for mice.  An entrance 1 to 3
inches long is enough and some make them even smaller - just big enough
for 2 or 3 bees to fit through.  Some attach a 0.25 inch thick wood
strip to each shingle long enough to leave the desired opening in the
front when the shingles are inserted in the sides of the hive.  I simply
cover most of the front opening with tape or my hive wrapping.  These
are quick and easy to put in and take out as needed.

FWIW

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture