From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:50:14 -0400
Blane White said, in reply to Barry:

> You ask who has even been hurt by such illegal movement of honeybees.
> How many beekeepers have been put out of business by varroa mites?
> They were brought here to the US by illegal movement of honeybees.
> It took about 10 years from varroa to spread across Austria from my reading
> of the issue in Europe but we spread the mites across the US in 2 to 4
> years mostly by movement of honeybees both legal and illegal.

The current spread of the small hive beetle is yet another example.
The problem is that beekeepers themselves are the most common vectors
to spread the beetles, and what little political influence "beekeepers" have
(AHPA, ABF, et al) solely represents the interests of the largest beekeepers,
numbering less than 1,000, and is sure to advocate reduced controls on
interstate transportation of bees.

Growers also want to reduce restrictions on interstate transport of bees
(but I do not know that they actively lobby for this), since this gives them
a larger number of potential pollinators to play against one another, and
keeps pollination fees low, setting the price based upon the lowest bids
by the most desperate beekeepers.

Clearly the current inspection approaches are not good enough, given
that all bee diseases become universal in time.  Even our own State
Apiarist takes the fatalistic stance that "we had better learn how to
deal with small hive beetles, since they will soon be here".  (His job
title is "State Apiarist/Endangered Species Coordinator", which I find
depressingly appropriate.)

> The first find of varroa in MN in 1988 was in honeybee colonies moved
> illegally into the state from Florida.  Other states could give additional
> examples.  Illegal movement of honeybees has cost us as an industry
> dearly.  This is not to say we should stop all movement of honeybees
> but that the regulations in place are there for a reason and it is our best
> interest to follow them for our own protection.

Clearly, spot-check inspecting at point of origin is not enough if one wants
to halt the spread of invasive pests and diseases.  California took a very
aggressive approach in regard to the fire ant, inspecting truckloads of bees
at their border.  The problem with this approach is that hives on a stationary
truck tend to overheat quickly.

Any improvement in inspection methodology seems doomed by the lack of
interest and resulting lack of funding for bee inspection within the states,
and further hampered by the inherent nature of the issue, which tends to
result in pointed fingers, pitting beekeeper against beekeeper.

The amazing thing is that bees continue to be one of the only "agricultural
commodities" that can be moved in interstate commerce with so little
inspection and attention.  Just try packing a single avocado in your carry-on
bag when flying sometime, and see how far you get before it is confiscated.
Don't bother trying to explain that it is your lunch, and will be consumed
before landing.

        jim