From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 07:35:10 -0400
D. Lusby writes:
>the genetic base has to be broadened and complex mongrels and
>hygridization peeled off to match Nature for what is done naturally
>in the field. Yes good traits are essential and so is diversity or
>variability within strains/races. Inbreeding is not a part of this,
>outbreeding is.

This is not easily understood by someone not familiar with your
terminology. Normally, when one wants to broaden the genetic base,
one imports bees from other geographic areas. Do you do this? I was
under the impression that you avoided bees from other regions,
preferring to gather them from the hills around Tuscon.

When you say: "complex mongrels and hygridization peeled off" I don't
think anyone has any idea what you are talking about. I certainly
don't. It sounds like you are doing some sort of selection, but based
on what characteristics, is not clear.

How do you recognize a "complex mongrel" and how do you "peel off"
hybridization? If you are sincere about wanting to contribute to the
study of bee breeding you should try to use terms that other people
can understand.

pb

--

Peter Borst