From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:08:36 -0400
Any takers?

-----Original Message-----
From: Gray, James L. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 9:28 AM
Subject: Bees in the Attic

        Yesterday, while at work my wife told me that there was a wet spot
on the ceiling of my son's room and this ticking sound coming from the area.
When I got home stepped up on a stool to touched the wet area in the
ceiling, I discovered it gave, so now I had a slight tear, not yet a
complete hole. Then I used a ladder to gain access to the attic and
maneuvered my way within reach of the insulation which covered the area of
the wetness. I had limited lighting and pulled back the insulation exposing
many tiny moving things. I got a flash light and discovered that I had a bee
hive the size of a bread box and many worker bees scurrying around. I did
not stay long enough to get any further details. I have had stings spread
over my nearly 56 years with no life threatening problems, with one incident
at 5 when I fell into a bee keepers hive and received many stings. Back to
my immediate story, my wife and I discovered outside the house near the area
of attic hive was a small opening just under the roof. The house is less
than 3 years old and we had witnessed most of the construction so I believe
that it is not too old. I taped up the area around the wet spot with see
through mailing tape.

My questions are:

How fast does a bee hive form?
Should I put a drain on the wet spot in my son's ceiling to collect, what
must be honey?
Should I take bee hive family pictures and send them to you?
Would you like to come to Jackson, New Jersey and capture a small new hive
for yourself?
Can we safely wait for the cold of the winter to remove it all?

We have worries of the ceiling coming down and bees coming into the house.

What would you do in our situation?

Thank you for your prompt response

James L. Gray
        Process Control Manager>