From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:59:52 -0700
Hi to Allen and all:

Allen wrote:
but in these particular hives I saw some bees that looked
different to me.  These bees were not stunted, but the
length of the wings, or _maybe the way they carried them_
was markedly different to my eye.

Reply:
Yes, these bees do look different and they do stand out
when the eye first sees them, even to me yet after all
these years.

I can go through 100s of colonies looking for the right 2-3
for grafting and yet, you know you have them when you see
them, for they stand out.

Yes, the wings do look differnt on the workers and drones,
also the abdomen;and, legs of the queen also are normally
carried different, along with her movements to watch.

It is hard to describe the abdomen in a way, it is not so
rounded and longish, it is more cupped with point.

Also colouration is different and way bees seem to stare
back at you and make you fix your eyes on them, as they fix
theirs on you. Yet they are not flightly and move very
delibertly.

Regards,

Dee