HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Wendy E. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:01:34 -0400
Hi HISTARCHERS:
We are wondering if anyone out there has done any research on English yellow
earthenware vessels bearing Shakespearean quotes. We are interested not only
in their production context but in who purchased such vessels … what meanings
were attached to them etc.  J. Jefferson Miller, in English  Yellow-Glazed
Earthenware (1974), notes that yellow-glazed, transfer-printed earthenware
vessels such as mugs (beer, porter, and children’s) and pitchers often bore mottos
and quotations (including lines taken from Shakespeare). Dates of some examples
shown in his book range from 1810-1825 (the Miller reference is courtesy of
Meta Janowitz - thanks Meta).

Recently, during excavations at the Andries Dubois House (parts of the
structure date to the mid-18th century) in the Town of Shawangunk, Ulster County,
N.Y, we recovered a sherd from such a vessel. It is yellow-glazed (very bright)
and contains portions of a quote, which we have traced to Shakespeare’s Henry
IV, Part 1 (Act IV, Scene ii)—taken from a speech delivered by Falstaff:

“No eye hath seen such scarecrows.
I'll not march through Coventry with them, that's
flat: nay, and the villains march wide betwixt the
legs, as if they had gyves on; for indeed I had the
most of them out of prison”

Henry IV, Parts 1 and 2 take place in the early stages of the English War of
the Roses, a civil war/dynastic struggle spanning the years 1455 to 1487.  The
quote references “Falstaff’s ragged regiment,” a group of hapless,
undernourished, ill-kempt conscripts, impressed into service as cannon fodder for the
upcoming Battle of Shrewsbury.  In the same speech, Falstaff elaborates upon
the quality of his rural recruits:
“…my whole charge consists of ancients, corporals, lieutenants, gentlemen of
companies, slaves as ragged as Lazarus  in the painted cloth…and such as
indeed were never soldiers, but discarded unjust serving-men, younger sons to
younger brothers, revolted tapsters and ostlers trade-fallen, the cankers of a
calm world and a long  peace …”
One of our theories about this artifact is that vessels bearing such
inscriptions might have held appeal for veterans of the American Revolution…especially
those who served in poorly trained and equipped local militias (if you google
"Falstaff's Ragged Regiment" you come up with all sorts of allusions - but
most seem to be to the American Civil War). At least two veterans are associated
with the Andries Dubois House and there may be more (we are still researching
this connection). Additionally, there is a possibility that the house
functioned as an inn during the first decade of the 19th century…and perhaps veterans
frequented it.

Our client is a local historical society and they are quite excited about
this artifact. Any information, theories, stray thoughts etc. would be not only
be valuable to us but would also probably help increase interest in the
archaeology of the region.

Thanks so much.
Wendy Harris, RPA
Cragsmoor Consultants