HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jillian Galle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 08:58:59 -0400
Monticello's International Center for Jefferson Studies invites paper
proposals for the First Triennial Conference on the Digital Archaeological
Archive of Chesapeake Slavery (DAACS).

The DAACS Conference is designed to promote interdisciplinary engagement
with the archaeological data that reside in DAACS (http://www.daacs.org). We
hope to advance our understanding of the historical dynamics behind slavery
and slave-based societies that evolved in the Chesapeake and elsewhere
during the early-modern era. We invite papers from graduate students and
established scholars in a wide variety of disciplines, including
archaeology, architectural history, American studies, material-culture
studies, and history. Although papers should engage DAACS data, they need
not be limited to it. We especially encourage papers that combine DAACS data
with data from other Chesapeake sites, or from elsewhere in the early-modern
Atlantic World.

Persons interested in presenting a paper at the conference should submit a
proposal, consisting of a one-page, single-spaced abstract and curriculum
vitae by June 1, 2004.  The abstract should clearly state how the author
would use DAACS data in the paper's methodological arguments. Participants
will be notified of their acceptance by June 15, 2004.  Final papers should
be submitted no later than October 1, 2004. Those selected to present their
papers will be provided with a travel stipend, housing and a $300
honorarium.

Paper proposals should be submitted to: Jillian Galle, Project Manager,
Digital Archaeological Archive of Chesapeake Slavery, Monticello, P.O. Box
316, Charlottesville, Virginia, 22902.  Proposals may also be submitted via
email: [log in to unmask]

For more information on DAACS and the conference, please visit
www.daacs.org.