HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:01:09 -0400
I met an archaeologist who reviewed Southeast American archaeology for
"American Antiquity" who had a Fullbright grant to work on the archaeology
of the large dam being built between Uruguay and Brazil. An associate Mary
FitzHerbert, whom graduated with me, worked with the archaeologists that he
went down to work with there, she from Uruguay/Wales. He related that the
understory was so heavy in the river flats that he was reduced to crawling
in with a dog leash, drawing a circle with it, and digging about a meter in
diameter test units. Later the Museum of Man from Paris, France was involved
in the excavation prior to the flooding and construction. She was happy to
see some of her friends as politics at the time there were borderline for
that kind of intervention in their federal scheme of things. The World Bank
has recently come out against too many dam projects, many near the Equator
that have actually, measurably, slowed the rotation of the Earth, though not
a significant orbital problem.

Another, one of the first historical archaeology projects I worked on for
the NPS involved breaking through the concrete floor in the Ironmasters
house at the Hopewell Village Foundry in Pennsylvania. Make sure the sledge
hammer's head is well attached. They were looking for a prior cabin
structure in the basement and the area between the house and the beehive
summer kitchen, attached only by a shed roof to the main house. I'm not sure
if they found it, though they seemed pretty sure it was there.

George Myers

George Myers