HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 19:23:15 -0800
Carl,

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (Compact Edition), the term
"cracker" first shows up as a thin, hard biscuit in naval chronicles in
1830. I assume that it is hardtack. The reference says "...20 barrels
crackers..."

At 12:14 PM 3/30/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Howdy --
>
>We've all heard the expression "sittin' round the crackel barrel."
>
>Well, how big was a cracker barrel?  How big were these crackers? Do  I
>assume they were just loose in the barrel, or were they packed in something
>to prevent breakage?
>
>I assume we're not talking about Saltines here, but something akin to
>block-like items such as army hardtack?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Carl Barna
>Lakewood, CO

Anita Cohen-Williams
Search Engine Optimizer/Guru
http://www.mysearchguru.com
"Get Your Web Site Noticed!"

Listowner of HISTARCH, SUB-ARCH, & SPANBORD
Archaeology Online Blog (web log)
http://archaeology.blogspot.com