HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dave McMahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:37:25 -0800
I have consulted several medical experts with regard to TB, influenza,
and other biohazards to be concerned during the exhumation of historic
graves.  The general consensus is that the potential for survivability
is very low except in permafrost.  There have been instances of
influenza being isolated from historic graves in permafrost.  Our former
chief medical examiner felt that molds and fungi posed a greater risk
than these things in most cases.  Still -- I suppose nothing is for
certain.  It's always good to take precautions.