HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Pfeiffer/R8/USDAFS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:20:56 -0500
I have a short 1 pager biblio on Culturally Scarred Trees if anyone wants
it.  I started it a couple of years ago and meant it to be much more
ambitious but never got around to keep working on it.

Smoke.

Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA
Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
605 West Main Street
Russellville, Arkansas 72801
(479) 968-2354  Ext. 233
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

                    bruce
                    dahlstrom            To:     [log in to unmask]
                    <bd@ISLANDNET        cc:
                    .COM>                Subject:     Re: Bark-stripped birch trees
                    Sent by:
                    HISTORICAL
                    ARCHAEOLOGY
                    <HISTARCH@asu
                    .edu>

                    08/06/2002
                    09:11 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    HISTORICAL
                    ARCHAEOLOGY

There has been a considerable amount of material produced on CMTs in
British
Columbia.  Much of this literature deals with CMTs protected by provincial
heritage legislation (the Heritage Conservation Act).  Protected sites in
most cases must predate 1846.  This means that many species of CMTs are
under reported.  There is a good summary of available literature on the BC
Association of Professional Consulting Archaeologists website
(www.bcapca.bc.ca) on the links page and there is a recording handbook with
examples available from the provincial government at
(http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/docs/mr/mr091.htm). You might also wish
to contact Morley Eldridge of Millennia Research and Arnoud Stryd of Arcas
(both addresses are on the association webisite) who have done important
work with CMTs in BC. Let me know how your project progresses.  I may be
able to help with information from the grey literature if you contact me
off
list.