HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dane Magoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:37:28 -0800
Hello Bonnie:

The Valentine Museum in Richmond, VA sponsored a
series of archaeological excavations at the Tredegar
Ironworks site in 1994.  The project was part of an
attempted (and short-lived) expansion of the museum
into the site of the old iron foundry under the name
"Valentine Riverside."  The excavations were very
public, and interaction was highly encouraged between
the field crew and museum visitors.

I do not know if a report was ever completed, but I do
know that identifying worker and slave housing were
research objectives and that a large number of
artifacts were recovered during the excavation
process.  The best person to contact would be Kathy
Biedlman, but I have no current contact information.

Also, many apologies if I spelled "Tredegar" or Kathy
Biedlman's name incorrectly; no source materials on
hand.

Good luck!

Dane Magoon
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
SIUC-Niigata