From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:16:08 -0800
When the first wave of Hurlstone discussion passed through, I dug out
the two Hurlstone recordings on Lyrita and gave them a listen.  Like
Don, I was impressed by the Piano Trio & Quartet; Lyrita also recorded
his piano concerto, a big, ambitious work with a Brahms 2nd-ish first
movement.  Apparently Hurlstone was an exceptional pianist, and much of
his work features that instrument.  It occurred to me that, had he lived,
Hurlstone might have been THE British composer to contribute works of
lasting significance to the piano repertoire (it's a commonplace that
no British composer has to date).  Just another musical what-if.

Art Scott
Livermore, Cal.