From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:27:54 -0600
Jos Janssen:

>O, and by the way: This afternoon we also had the concert for seven
>winds, timpani and strings by that sadly underrated composer Frank
>Martin.  Is there anybody on the list who has an opinion on him?

I like him a lot, with the exception of the 2 large oratorios: Golgotha
and In terra pax.  He's written one of the great 20th-century choral
works, the Mass for 2 4-part Choirs, as well as several wonderful concerted
works, symphonic pieces, and ballets.  I saw his Lorca ballet, Blood
Wedding, in 1972 with the Royal Ballet.  Dark and Spanish, without
resorting to a nationalist Spanish idiom.

And speaking of Sheherazade.  I love Bernstein's NY Phil recording on
CBS/Sony.  The only thing working against it is its less than spectacular
sound, but it has enough electricity to run Times Square.

Steve Schwartz