From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 15:05:49 -0500
Mike Smith wrote:

>Does such budget-conscious behavior, which benefits the consumer (me)
>in the short term, ultimately provide a disincentive for the CD companies
>to continue to engage orchestras/conductors/soloists and produce CDs?
>I rely on BRO to support my "CD habit"--much like Karl, I suspect, but
>is that behavior ultimately counter-productive?  Does it hasten the
>decline of CM by squeezing both artists and recording companies?

I can only speak for myself...it seems to me that we may be moving in
the direction of "leasing" recordings.  The resale of used recordings
was, at one time, an issue for the industry and as I recall some well
known pop artists chose to not let their discs be sold in outlets that
also sold used discs.

As for my company, I rather doubt that is an issue, however...  My daytime
job is that of Curator of a recordings collection.  We often get donations.
In one of our donations I was taken back when I found a pirated copy of
one of the discs on my label!  I felt like our record company had
"arrived." At least I haven't seen our stuff in the used bins...yet.
Guess I wouldn't mind seeing a used copy, but the pirate copy...

Karl