From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 21:04:35 -0400
Donald Satz:

>Louie Vierne, best known for his organ compositions, also wrote an
>orchestral symphony in A minor and various works for solo piano. The
>Timpani label released a disc of the Symphony and one for solo piano a
>few years ago.  Are any listmembers familiar with either of these two
>recordings? What's your opinion of the music?

I haven't heard these recordings but I would like to mention that one of
Vierne's greatest works is the Piano Quintet Op. 42, which is as moving
as Franck's one!  This Quintet in C minor for piano and strings dates from
1917, and is dedicated to the memory of his son Jacques, who was killed in
action.  Following the "cyclical model", this work is both emotional and
coherent.  Actually, this music is very dark and disturbing.  The cello
sonata (1910) is also really moving...

There's at least a recording of the quintet available:

   http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/classrev/2001/Dec01/vierne5.htm

Daniel Beland