From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:19:29 -0500
Hello All,
The easiest way to understand my position on capensis traits (which Dr.
Hoffman and Dee both agree are common in Arizona  )is to take the time to
read the posts posted on BEE-L from an expert on scutelliata and capensis.

Of the 54 posts posted by Barry on BEE-L only a few  are about capensis.
Capensis/ scutelliata information posted mainly through my prodding . The
two most important posts were written by Barry after I said we needed
capensis information on BEE-L.

 Both those posts contain over 200 words and contain more information on
scutelliata and capensis than  any U.S  bee book.

I am going to ask Joe Graham (editer of ABJ and "The Hive and the Honey
Bee") to consider including information provided by Barry Sergeant in the
next  edition.

 I know my friend Kim Flottum is reading this post. I believe information
provided by Barry should be published in the next edition of "ABC XYZ of
beekeeping".

Both books are lacking in information on both scutelliata and capensis and
with AHB in California we need to understand the problem.

Consider  the problem
 capensis vs scut in South Africa
                and
capensis  (traits to keep Allen at bay) vs European in the U.S.

Like it or not the problems could end up being similar.

The posts are named

African bee briefing (1)

African bee briefing (2)

For author in the search use:

sergeant@ MYIAFRICA.COM

Barry in the second bee briefing states in his opinion all wild scuts
contain at least 15% capensis. In the second briefing Barry talks about
trying to remove the 15% plus capensis to come up with a purebred
scutelliata.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. Barry does quite a bit of work and research in remote areas in SA which
he talks about in his posts. I hate to try and speak for Barry but I believe
if Barry  was reading the comments we have posted concerning capensis
(traits) Barry would have posted by now.