From:
Robert Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:56:21 -0600
> From: Carol Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Caucasian bees
>
> I would like to try the caucasian bee:  excessive propolisation?

Ten + years ago I did this in my backyard hobby apiary, and have since
regretted it.  Propolis IS excessive, and it takes hard work to keep the
colony clean enough to be easily, pleasantly,  accessible.  Even this far
south I've seen the entrance closed to about a square inch in winter despite
an entrance reducer.  In late August Sept., so much propolis is on hands,
fingers, hive tool,  smoker, and everything else that it is downright
unpleasant; picking up, moving, and queen handling operations are very
messy!

The black queens are frequently hard to find, make easy only by marking..use
white marker.   If you raise queens the caucasian drones will forever mix
your stock. and the propolisation goes on and on, though less and less.

On the other hand this bee is gentle, quiet on the comb and they are a
pleasure to work.

> Would I be sorry if I tried this bee?
I would not do this again, but this is just my take;  (I stick with Italians
here in the south, but venture nothing further)

Robert Barnett
Birmingham,  AL