From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 08:17:11 +1000
Christopher Webber, referring to my post:

>Like Steve and others, I'm a little bemused by complaints about
>"British bias" in a British periodical.
>
>What's more, it has to be said that this generosity only extends to
>British performers, not British music,

I hope my later post made clear that this meaning is the one I intended.
When I first entered the thread, I had in mind Kevin Sutton's '"only the
Brits know how to make music" glam rags like Gramophone has become', and
was, in a sense, agreeing with him.  Certainly, I have no quarrel with
Gramophone's reviewing of British music.  However, one of the reasons I
subscribed to Fanfare was its use by radio presenters to offer alternative
reviews of new CDs and of CDs on American labels and others which lacked
distribution in the UK. Now that the web has made a proliferation of
information so easily available, and that CM needs all the help it can
get, magazines devoted to it need more than ever to be aware that their
readership is an international one.

Richard Pennycuick