From:
Martin Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:41:24 +0100
Dear gang of many

I mentioned the other day that I was starting my own CD label (for which
I still haven't settled on a name) dedicated expressly to recording
unknown and neglected music.  Many of my friends already in the business
think I am barmy (which may or may not be true), since they find it hard
enough without a concentration on the obscure.  There may be a way around
that, and that's where I would like to canvass your opinion.  I had the
idea of starting a subscription scheme, where subscribers would be sent
a copy of everything I do, at something akin to Naxos prices; I would
hold the subscriber's credit-card number and simply debit the amount
each time a CD came out.  It would mean that subscribers would agree
to buy a pig in a poke - they wouldn't know what was coming before it
arrived.  You lot, I imagine, are the kind of audience I am aiming at,
so can I ask you whether -- once a track record had been established,
with recordings of interesting composers (say, Rontgen, Gal, Reicha,
Kaminski, Milford, Weinberg, Saar, Stevenson, Busch, Myslivecek - people
like that) to judge the label by - a subscription scheme like this, with
(again, say) four releases a month, would be something you would consider?

If your responses are generally encouraging, I'll keep thinking about
it; if you all tell me I must be joking, then I have to think again.

Cheers

Martin Anderson
Toccata Press
www.drakeint.co.uk/toccata-press