From:
Mariana Cirne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:56:20 -0300
I googled "orquestra villa-lobos", and read that this orchestra was
founded in 1933 by the man himself as part of an oficial educational
program of the government of the state of Rio de Janeiro.  There is also
one "orquestra villa-lobos" that is presently active, but I believe this
one was founded in 1992.  What I read is that, at that time, Villa-Lobos
was involved in several different educational projects (rather megalomaniac
ones, as was his style) including putting together a choir of 30.000
voices, making musical education mandatory in schools, reforming musical
pedagogy (and making strong verbal attacks on the teaching methods of the
time), and touring the backwaters of the country dragging along other
famous musicians...and the list goes on.  So I don't believe the Orquestra
Villa-Lobos or the Orfeao went so far as to record anything, I believe they
were both just moments of the pedagogical frenzy he went through, though
I'm just guessing based on the very generic biographical information I
could find.

Mariana.