From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:46:11 -0700
Don wrote, speaking of Kinderszenen:

>Even Peter Katin on Olympia sounds fantastic.

I have the impression that you have the opinion one could easily expect
that he would not.  Why? I am not familiar with his playing.  There is a
CD of him playing Chopin Waltzes at my local library in Brea, California.
I read the liner notes and he has interesting comments.  I have been toying
with taking it out but one can only take out five at once, and there's so
many goodies to explore.  Can you offer any further comments about Katin?

BTW I find it hardly surprising that you enjoy many pianists'
Kinderszenen.  The music presents few challenges interpretative or
technical, and obviously is quite accessible to any listener.  And it
is hard for a pianist to find an idiosyncratic approach to take to the
performance; the music is just to simple, charming, and direct, so any
one pianist tends to play it about the same as the next.  Ever notice
how frequently the first piece is played on classical radio as filler?

Michael