From:
Gustav Schmale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 05:10:26 +0100
Tom Connor writes:

>I'm curious what treasures listers find in the Vox catalogue.

I am not very familiar with VOX.  But I know that few record companies
actually care about what they produce.  The very act of flooding the
market with CDs seems to be a self-argument for their activity.  I believe
there is not one single CD in BIS catalogue I would know of anything at
all to write.  Chandos another label, which actually don't seem to care
much.  Naxos - a frequent discussion topic label I believe - has a mixed
bag: some very good CDs and some garbage - and a lot in various steps
therebetween.

Speaking of Naxos.  Of course it is a label, on which it is pointless
to buy - say the Beethoven symphony cycle - if you are a listener advanced
n level enough to know those works.  It is natural, then DGG, EMI and
DECCA already have produced a zillion of recordings of them with top
performers, all with whom Capella Istropolitana cannot compete better
even then Philharmonia Slavonica on Pilzi.  For those who wants to get
to know the music, it is a first choice label though.

I think Naxos - despite being a comet label - in many cases could have
spent more love on their recordings they have chosen to present, although
it is always velcomed, when a label dares to produce other then the 150
best known composers in series.  Imaging when a composer like William
Schuman enters onto disc.  I just got warm in whole my heart when I after
a while found out how genial music that was.  Boo!

The series of English composers perhaps Naxos best, overall summarized.

Gus Schmale