From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 23:02:20 +0000
Miguel Muelle writes of the David Hurwitz review of the Barbarolli M9:

>The problem I have is that the Hurwitz review seems off-hand, shallow,
>and, well, just plain mean....  It seems irresponsible to pontificate
>with such prejudice, especially to those who look to reviews for help
>in buying CM CDs.

Although I am neutral about Barbarolli and his recorded performances,
the above attack on Mr.  Hurwitz interested me enough that I read his
review on the Classics Today website.

I honestly can't see what the fuss is about.  Hurwitz goes against the
usual grain in being skeptical of the Barbarolli M9 and its inclusion
by EMI as a great recording of the 20th century.  That's his right, and
he also provides his reasons for possessing his relatively negative
opinion.  What more do you want?  Yes, the review was short, but that's
the regimen of Classics Today.  Also, it's likely that a longer review
would have found Hurwitz simply stacking up the negatives he feels about
the performance.

The Hurwitz review can certainly help readers who are looking for help
in choosing M9 versions to consider.  As David Harbin, the originator
of this thread, would probably agree, the Hurwitz review might have
stopped him from buying the Barbarolli M9 which he returned after finding
it inadequate.

Overall, I think this is a case of a Barbarolli fan not liking an
unfavorable review of his conducting.  Personally, I applaud Hurwitz
for having the fortitude to criticize an acclaimed recording.  He stuck
to his guns, and that's all to the good.

Don Satz