From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:47:08 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I've also noticed Naxos using American orchestras from San Diego, Nashville
>and possibly elsewhere.  If Naxos and the orchestras can make some money
>because the big league American orchestras have priced themselves out
>of the market, then good for them.

I agree completely.  Many of those orchestras with smaller budgets are
excellent and I would think having their orchestras record could be a
great boost to the pride of those organizations.  There are some wonderful
musicians out there and not all of them are in the Chicago Symphony, New
York Phil, etc.

Len Mullenger wrote:

>I have been told that Naxos sell more copies of the American series CDs
>in the UK than they do in the States.

I find that an interesting commentary on things.  Should that be correct...
I can only wonder why.  Does that mean that the US has a low opinion of
its own music?  I also wonder that with the size of the US population,
it would seem we would be likely to have more people buying classical
CDs.

For me, it could be a reflection of some of the attitudes US audiences
have about classical music.  Unless it is from Europe it isn't great...I
am reminded how long it took a major US orchestra to have a native born,
US trained conductor at the helm.

Karl