From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:58:48 -0500
Robert Summers wrote:

>The classical music world has to make a connection with the youngest two
>or three generations.  Where is the future audience? My estimate of the
>average age of BSO attendees is about ninety years old.  How long can this
>last?

Why?  Maybe there isn't a future generation for classical music. If
most of the attendees of the BSO are 90 years old, why don't they market
classical music as a way to extend one's life?  Truly, I don't mean to
be flip about it.  Classical music and its potential audience are best
served when one is honest about what constitutes classical music.  If
you don't like a particular wine because it is too dry, I can't make you
like by adding sugar to it.  If I add sugar, and you like the drink, it
isn't the wine you are liking, it is the sugar.

On the other hand, I don't suggest that one place barriers which limit
access to classical music, I just believe it needs to be represented for
what it is.

Karl