From:
Susan Juhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:39:02 -0700
Jon Gallant lauded some Canadian composers.  I agree with his list.

I did a show on Canada Day featuring the following Canadian composers:
John Weinzweig, Harry Somers, Gary Kulesha, Marjean Mozetich, Ruth Watson
Henderson, Healy Willan, Elizabeth Raum, Imant Raminsh, Jean Coulthard, and
Scott Irvine.  None of this music would grate on anyone's nerves.  Give it
a try...

Sources for their music:

Ovation: Canadian Music cbc 2026
Introduction to Canadian Music.  Naxos 8.550171
Canadian Composers Portraits: Jean Coulthard CMC 8202
My Heart Soars: Toronto Children's Chorus.  Marquis 199
Raum: 3 works for tuba & orchestra. loh 14342
True North Brass: ODR 9313

(The Naxos was very helpful.)

Susan