From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 22:42:04 +0100
In a posting on Louis Vierne's symphony, Richard Penntcuick makes a quick
aside, referring to Cesar Franck's Symphony in D minor as "a work I know
well enough but have never liked much".  Be afraid, Richard -- you have
set me to musing!

I don't want to enter into another discussion of vegetal preference, as
Steve Schwartz would perhaps say.  However, Richard's comment unearths a
vague memory of a huge argument many years past of the relative worth or
othwerwise of this piece.  I happen to like it, largely because it holds
precious memories for me.  But I do recall great controversy over whether
or not it is worth a row of beans and why, exactly, it has risen to
prominence over other, perhaps worthier, works (some of which are referred
to in Richard's post -- Chausson, Dukas and Magnard (I admire your taste,
Richard!) among them.

Perhaps the popularity of the symphony has something to do with Franck's
pivotal position as a centre around which many other composers gathered.
If that is the case, however, why don't Mily Balakirev's symphonies and
one and a half piano concerti get more airings?

I would be interested in Lister's views, regardless of whether or not they
like this particular brussels sprout.

Tim Mahon
(Listening to Khrennikov's "Napoleon Bonaparte" on Russian Disc -- DSCH
fans rush out and buy it!)