From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 13:29:59 +0000
In Part 3, these four versions of the Handel Variations are reviewed:

Arnaldo Cohen - Vox Classics 7539(1994)
Leon Fleisher - Sony Classics 63225(1956)
Stephen Kovacevich - Philips Duo 442589(1968)
Benno Moiseiwitsch - Naxos Historical 8.110668(1930)

Arnaldo Cohen, born in Brazil, is of Russian ancestry and has performed
with the best known orchestras and conductors of Europe.  In 1972, he won
First Prize at the Busoni International Piano Competition and soon made
Europe his permanent home.  His Handel Variations on Vox is coupled with
Schumann's Fantasy in C and the Arabesque; total playing time is 66:09.

This Vox disc is my first experience listening to Cohen, and I didn't
anticipate 'great things', especially since Boriskin had already surprised
me with an exceptional Handel Variations.  But I have to say that I find
Cohen's version even more rewarding than Boriskin's and Katchen's as well.

There is one little reservation that I might as well relate and then move
on to the fantastic components.  The reservation concerns those variations
which need to be 'slow and heavy'.  I would have liked more sheer strength
from Cohen, a deeper penetration into the music's angst.  This is the one
and only area where Katchen definitely has the advantage over Cohen.

The three aspects of Cohen's recording I most love are the sound quality,
versatility, and natural flow.  The sound engineering is state of the art
and superb; the definition and richness ring out from every track.  Cohen's
versatility is also at peak levels.  When exuberant speed is called for,
Cohen is a role-model of energy and vitality.  Poignancy holds no problems
for him, given the exceptional accenting and inflections he provides.
Regal proceedings, as evidenced by the basic theme, are a natural for
Cohen, and his technical prowess is mighty impressive.

Perhaps Cohen's best performance trait is how naturally each passage and
variation flows into the next.  More than with any other version, I get the
total architecture and sense of one composition from Cohen.  Much of this
I attribute to his spacing which seems to me nearly perfect.

In summary, Cohen's is the performance I would recommend to those wanting
only one recording in the library; his reading is at least and equal of
Katchen's and Boriskin's, and the sound quality gives his version a decided
edge.

Stephen Kovacevich has a superb reputation in Brahms, and his Handel
Variations is good evidence of the reputation's virtue.  Like Cohen,
Kovacevich displays excellent versatility as he nails each variation's
emotional level.  There are a couple of instances where Kovacevich indulges
in over-blown romanticized flourishes and dclarations, but they are a very
small blot on an exceptional set of interpretations.  Sound quality is
excellent although a little bright.  This is definitely an essential
version for collectors.

Leon Fleischer's Handel Variations has been a mainstay for decades and
the favorite version for many folks.  I have no reason to quarrel with
their preference as I can find no fault with any moment in his performance.
The Handel theme, the variations, and the Fugue all receive sterling and
vibrant readings; actually, Fleischer's consistency of excellence surpasses
that of any other recorded version.

When I initiated Part 3, I thought that Benno Moiseiwitsch would likely
present the most rewarding interpretation of all.  However, there are
two aspects which mandate a recommendation not of the essential category.
First, Moiseiwitsch has a tendency to allow nuance to occasionally damage
musical momentum and drive of the most exuberant variations.  Second, the
sound quality lacks some 'presence', and Moiseiwitsch's performances can't
quite overcome the sound deficiency.

Please don't get me wrong.  Moiseiwitsch is certainly in the upper crust of
recorded versions, but the performances from Fleischer and a few others are
more consistently enjoyable with superior sound.  Perhaps this is mostly a
situation where Fleischer rarely performed the Handel Variations in public
and simply doesn't have the full command of the work that he displays with,
for example, Chopin's Preludes and Schumann's Kinderszenen.

Don's Conclusions: There is a wealth of gold in these four recordings of
the Handel Variations resulting in this current line-up of recommendations:

Top Level: Fleischer and Cohen.
Essential: Katchen, Boriskin, and Kovacevich.
Thumbs-up: Moiseiwitsch, Serkin, Arrau, Artymiw, Dichter, Richter, and Biret.
No Thanks: Pratt and Ax.

I have a few versions left to review from my inventory including Tureck,
Solomon, and Petri.  Stay tuned for Part 4 which should be completed in
a few weeks.

Don Satz