From:
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:57:51 +1200
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I should give this post some direct musical content and mention that the
>aboriginal word best known to music lovers is probably "corroboree", the
>name of a ballet by John Antill (not to be confused with George Antheil).
>This word means a tribal gathering, and dancing is an important part of it.

The ballet suite consisting of 1.  Welcome Ceremony (Whitchetty Grub
men, Emu Totem); 2.  Dance to the Evening Star (Thippa Thippa; Bell Bird
people); 3.  A Rain Dance (Frog Totem; Fish men); 4.  Procession of Totems;
5.  Closing Fire Ceremony (Lace Lizard; Cockatoo; Honey Ant; Wild Cat;
Small Fly Totems) provides a veritable feast for anyone's ears!  It is/was
available coupled with Ginastera ballet suites - Panambi & Estancia & Villa
Lobos' "The Little Train of the Caipira" (Toccata from Bachianas Brasileros
No.  2) performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Sir Eugene
Goosens on Everest EVC9007.

Geoffrey Gaskell