From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 03:50:48 +0000
Janos Gereben writes:

>It doesn't matter how this makes you feel, better just deal with it:
>the next decade of opera belongs to Tan Dun.

I have a similar view of Tan Dun's future hold on classical music which
I shared with the List in a December 1999 posting titled "Schumann vs.
Mendelssohn:

>I forsee a world order controlled by global corporations with Tan Dun
>as the "corporate" music man.

The above statement was based on the view that Tan Dun's music is quite
eclectic and that the 'global' order would push his music endlessly.

I do sincerely hope that I turn out to be wrong.  The elevation of Tan
Dun would be a severe blow to classical music as we presently perceive it.
Overall, this eclectic trend will dilute what's left of the purity and
intensity of classical music.  Perhaps this is simply my bias against
eclectic composition which I see as a lack of focus and an attempt to
appeal to many groups of people.  Music written to appeal to others usually
has less inspiration than music written to satisfy oneself.

Janos also mentioned that the Rilling performance he attended of the Mass
in B minor by Bach was not one of the best in his concert-going experience.
What gives me pause is that the opinion is based on one hearing when the
listener is in a particular frame of mind.  One of the advantages of
recordings is that we can listen to a particular performance numerous times
and under a variety of mind-sets.  There are times when a recording is much
more appealing to me just one day after the previous listening; the reason
is often the mood I happen to be in at the time.

As an aside, I had mentioned recently that being in Pittsburg might
be something to cry about, but music is not.  Having just returned from
Pittsburg, I must report that I saw no one crying in the 'steel town'.
The folks in Pittsburg are a hearty lot and save their tears for real
events that are traumatic.  Tomorrow I will be experiencing a root canal
procedure at the Dentist's office; the tears just might be flowing then.
The picture of a giant needle being plunged into the recesses of my nerves
is not a pleasant one, so I'll try to concentrate on intonatsia and
Scriabin just to realize that plenty of folks have it worse than I do.
Why can't I have perfect teeth and gums like Britney Spears?

Don Satz