From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 09:57:39 -0500
Bob Stumpf asks:

>During his [Stokowski's] second season in Cincinnati he conducted works
>by composers who are greek to me.  If anyone can help me ID them it will
>help me with the register.
>
>Sgambati

from the Great God Google:

Sgambati (1841-1914) became Liszt's pupil and protege, and the two
remained close friends until the older man's death.  This friendship was
decisive for Sgambati's development; he introduced the "Dante Symphony"
to Italy and conducted the premiere of the first part of "Christus".

In 1869 Liszt took him to Germany, where he met Anton Rubinstein and
first encountred the music of Wagner, whom he was to meet in Rome.

He founded in Rome the Liceo Musicale di S. Cecilia, later Conservatory,
linked to the much older Accademia.

Sgambati is of unquestionable historical importance as a leading figure
in the late 19th-century resurgence of non-operatic music in Italy.

Yet his works have endured far less well than those of his younger
contemporary Martucci.

He wrote orchestral and sacred works, chamber music and a lot of
piano-pieces.

>Sinigaglia

Sinigaglia, Leone (Turin, 1868 - Turin, 1944)
It. composer.

Studied at Turin Cons.  Pupil of Mandyczewski in Vienna 1894-1900
and Dvorak in Prague, 1900-1.  Rare among It.  composers of his day in
writing no opera.  Works mainly instr., incl.  orch.  variations, Romanza
e umoresca vc., orch., chamber mus., choral pieces, and songs.

Italian composer who, untypically, wrote no opera.  Works include
overture to Goldoni's comedy Le baruffe chiozzotte ('The Row at Chioggia'),
Variations on a Theme of Brahms for string quartet.  Was a pupil of Dvoraak
in Prague.

>Bohlmann

I came up empty.  Sorry.

Steve Schwartz