From:
"Richard A. Ujvary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:02:23 -0400
You know maybe we'd be better off taking that money earmarked for the
NPR station and giving it to a pre-school or elementary school in one's
community.  The garden doesn't grow if it isn't watered.  I believe
Europe has a much more enlightened approach to the arts.  There, at least,
children get plenty of exposure early in their lives so they're ahead of
the curve in making their own informed and intelligent decisions as to what
they are hear in music as they grow into adulthood.  By being taught, the
community tells them that "Yes we care enough about the arts and that we
want you to learn and enjoy them".  When you look at the US, I don't think
we do a good job of teaching our children this.  If we did maybe then
we wouldn't be debating the demise of classical music in our culture.
Obviously, there are other considerations involved here but I think a
focus on money for education and not to NPR would be a better allocation
of the arts dollar.

Rich