From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:35:22 -0800
John Ogdon recorded the complete sonatas, which are available on CD along
with some short works and an excellent Vers La Flamme.

Someone mentioned Glemser.  I remember a long discussion about Glenn
Gould's humming, but I do not remember which side of the debate Don fell
on.  Glemser hums plenty.  At least, to my my ear, he makes the fifth
sonata sound like music, unlike Horowitz.

I will venture to say I am not fond of Horowitz's Scriabin.  I submit that
Horowitz formed a big part of how we listen to Scriabin, which we may not
be as fond of if he had appeared in a later era.

I would recommend Kissin's Scriabin, in particular his sonata #3 and
C-sharp minor etude op. 42 #5.  Among the many things he does, Scriabin is
one of the things he does best; and among those who play Scriabin's music,
Kissin is among the best of those who play it.

Michael Cooper