Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:40:51 -0400
From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>We Brits are very sparing in giving standing ovations - too sparing
>perhaps.  But at least it marks the performance as something the audience
>recognises as special, and one tends to remember for a long time those
>concerts when it happens.

Perhaps that's the problem: it's all or nothing.  As soon as one has to
give a Pass/Fail/Excellent assessment of something, one invites "grade
inflation," as it were.  If there were lots of shades in between, we can
find something appropriate, instead of excellent all the time.  I guess
if I were more comfortable standing all by myself-- if there were a
performance where I was the only one-- I'd feel less uncomfortable being
the only one seated, too.

Let me make a plea for *less* unanimity in "standing ovations."
Individualists everywhere, honk if you agree!  (Or don't honk if you
don't agree - - wait a minute; . . . I'm confused . . .:)

P.S. This has little to do with supporting the arts.  I'm not complaining
about the philistines standing every time; I'm complaining about those
who should know better setting a bad example.

Arch