From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 08:48:02 +0000
>You are absolutely correct.  The problem is that there is no money in
>bee stings for the medical profession so they are not interested.

large snip

>To get a true understanding of the problem you have to realize that
>the medical profession has not cured anything since polio.  They now
>come up with treatments that require the patient to come back over and
>over for prescriptions.  No prescriptions are required for bees so
>even if it worked they would not be interested.
>
>beekeep
>Greg Ferris
>Ferris Apiaries

I think that this is another example of a somewhat embittered position
against professionals I have come across several times before and indeed
have crossed swords with others about before.

Now, admittedly I do not live in the US, but from experience of visiting
there I find that people are broadly similar to ourselves. Therefore to
decry the medical profession as ONLY interested in the profit motive by
making them come back again and again is, from my experience, both
unfair and untrue.

As in all professions there will be a (small?) percentage of rogues, but
most doctors will be proud of success in treating a condition, not
consciously trying to 'almost cure' you so that you have to keep coming
back for more. They are human beings with the same spectrum of
motivations as the rest of society, and doing good to his/her fellow
being is one of them.

Injected bee venom works. We KNOW this from within our own family. To
suggest that it may not have the same effect (or side effect) as that
administered direct from the bees sting because of the difference in
delivery system is just speculation, but of a kind which, coming from a
'natural' advocate, gains adherants without there being any serious
evidence to support it.

Possibly more crucial factors involved in making naturally stung venom
better than injected (if indeed it is even so) would be a combination of
Faith and Placebo effects. If you really believe the natural way is best
then it will probably turn out to be skewed that way. Nothing wrong with
that if it works, but don't bad mouth the other camp. They will be most
likely as genuine in their efforts as you are, just holding a different
view.
--
Murray McGregor